Now for some fun! I previously wrote about some of the extreme things I do to save money. But full disclosure, there are some things I omitted out of embarrassment. Today I will share some of my secrets interspersed with some of the extreme things I’ve heard others do to save a buck. What do you think about these embarrassing ways to save money?
Note: This list in no way implies you should use any of these techniques to save money. Rather, they are some of the more embarrassing things I (or others) have done to save a buck or do.
Embarrassing Ways to Save Money
- Buying (unused) gifts for people I don’t like at the thrift store.
- Sharing bathwater with spouse and/or little kids.
- Jumping in the pool rather than taking a shower.
- Washing hair 1-2 times a week to save on shampoo.
- Only bathing little kids three days a week (or unless needed).
- Always keeping a bucket by the sink and under the hose to collect unused/un-drank water for watering plants.
- If it’s yellow, let it mellow.
- Taking rolls of toilet paper from hotel rooms.
- Instead of buying trash bags, putting waste in plastic grocery bags. Each time you leave the house, take the bag with you and throw it away in a store’s trash can.
- Planning fun day for kids around what you have a free coupon for.
- Going out to eat with husband on days kids are at school to avoid having to buy their meal(s).
- Your kids think going out to eat is a vacation.
- While at a theme park, noshing on the free pickles from the condiment bar rather than buying food.
- Swimming in underwear rather than buying new bathing suit.
- Wearing underwear with holes in them.
- Reusing unsoiled disposable swim diapers.
- Wearing disposable contact lenses until they tear or disintegrate in my eye rather than replacing after the recommended 2-weeks.
- Treating most single-use products as though they are reusable.
- When offered free food, eat as much as possible to save on the next meal.
- Disregarding expiration dates and using texture, smell, and common sense instead.
Related article: 100 Ways to Save Money
What are some of the most embarrassing things you’ve done to save money?